News

Adblockpocalypse: Users uninstall ad blockers in droves after YouTube crackdown

When it comes to ad blockers, YouTube is putting its money where its mouth is. The video platform’s crackdown on browser extensions that bypass pre-roll ads has had huge ramifications, with some ad blockers seeing as many as 50,000 uninstalls in a single day.

YouTube’s ad blocker crackdown has been in the works for months. In May, some users started seeing a message that reads “ad blockers are not allowed on YouTube.” The message blocks access to videos until the offending users whitelist YouTube in their ad blocker preferences or subscribe to YouTube Premium, which removes pre-roll ads but costs $12.99 per month.

A month later, YouTube confirmed that it was running a “small experiment” to crack down on ad blockers. That experiment has since evolved into a site-wide initiative. YouTube communications manager Christopher Lawton told The Verge that the platform has “launched a global effort” to combat the “use of ad blockers.”

Subscribe to get the latest creator news

Subscribe

The companies behind popular ad blockers are feeling the effects of YouTube’s policy. One such firm, AdGuard, told Wired that its daily uninstalls rose to approximately 52,000 on October 18. Previously, AdGuard’s average daily uninstalls hovered around 6,000.

YouTube has long turned a blind eye toward ad blockers. Extensions like Adblock Plus were widespread on the platform even though they violated its terms of service. But Netflix 

recently showed that streaming giants can increase subscriptions by cracking down on money-saving tactics (password sharing, in Netflix’s case).

By suggesting that aggrieved Adblock users subscribe to Premium instead, YouTube is directly viewers to one of its most lucrative services. YouTube Premium experienced a price hike in the U.S. over the summer, and as YouTube has ramped up its ad blocker crackdown, those price hikes have arrived in countries Argentina, Australia, Austria, Chile, Germany, Poland, and Turkey.

YouTube has become public enemy #1 among ad-blocking extensions, but in an ironic twist, those companies are getting support from YouTube’s parent company. Google recently sponsored an ad blocking conference alongside AdGuard and Adblock Plus parent Eyeo.

“For someone who wants to find extensions because they want more privacy, it may be hard,” Chrome Web Store developer lead Chary Chen said at the conference. “Now we’re introducing this new privacy and security category and it’s easy for a user to just go there and find the extension they want.”

So, to recap: Google is happy to help its users download ad blockers — but its video platform is playing the bad cop in this situation. For YouTube viewers who refuse to pony up for Premium, the days of a blissful ad-free experience may be at an end.

Share
Published by
Sam Gutelle

Recent Posts

Brazil’s LiveMode was a big winner at the World Cup. Now it’s coming for Europe’s biggest leagues.

The English Premier League returns for a new season on August 21, and two days later,…

7 hours ago

After becoming China’s answer to YouTube, BiliBili has its eyes on the rest of the world

Can one of China's biggest video hosting sites compete with the titans of the Western…

8 hours ago

YouTube is reportedly offering creators millions if they don’t sign deals with Netflix

After more than a year of Netflix treating YouTube like its own personal "farm league"…

1 day ago

If you think the UNO Twitch event is a punchline, allow me to play my Reverse card

It's a headline that seems ripe for satire: UNO is trying to become the hot new esport.…

1 day ago

As Vine’s successor opens its doors to the public, chalupas may make all the difference

If you've been waiting for Vine to return ever since its demise a decade ago, get ready…

1 day ago

A new creator-financed indie horror is on the way: ‘Godmother,’ co-written by Alanah Pearce and financed by Jacksepticeye

When I chatted with Markiplier in January about his self-financed box office horror hit Iron…

1 day ago