A fast food worker who came to a victim’s aid during the tragic shooting at YouTube headquarters last week may be headed to college with the help of a hefty crowdfunded scholarship.
On the day of the shooting, one of the three victims who’d been shot stumbled into a Carl’s Jr. restaurant just across the street from YouTube’s San Bruno offices with a wound in her calf. Immediately, staffer Michael Finney ran to the restaurant’s office and grabbed a bungee cord to create a tourniquet of sorts. “All I was trying to do was stay professional,” he told USA Today at the time. “I have a job and I represent the store.”
Finney also told the paper about his hopes of becoming a manager, and one day going to college for auto repair. As a result, in a bid to show his gratitude, Google
technical program manager Amar Amte launched a GoFundMe campaign to help pay for Finney’s college tuition. “Setting this page up for Michael’s education. Hope we can help out,” reads a note on the campaign page. “We are working closely with GoFundMe to connect with Michael Finney and will make sure the donations are delivered to him safely and securely.”The campaign, which is no longer accepting donations, raised $24,000 of a $10,000 goal in just four days, USA Today reports — with the help of a generous $10,000 donation from Carl’s Jr. CEO Jason Marker.
A decade ago, this would have been a surreal headline from The Onion, but in…
The English Premier League returns for a new season on August 21, and two days later,…
Can one of China's biggest video hosting sites compete with the titans of the Western…
A month after saying that "AI has fundamentally transformed the tech industry" to explain why…
After more than a year of Netflix treating YouTube like its own personal "farm league"…
It's a headline that seems ripe for satire: UNO is trying to become the hot new esport.…