Just two months after YouTuber Mindy McKnight launched her first haircare products with Walmart, she’s revealed her digital brand Cute Girls Hairstyles (CGH) will get its first line of toys this August.
CGH’s YouTube channel, launched in 2009, offers hairstyling and haircare tips for young girls, plus vlog content about McKnight, her husband Shaun, and their six children. It has 5.64 million subscribers and nets more than 10 million views each month. CGH also has its own blog and presences on platforms like Facebook (2.5 million followers) and Instagram (1.4 million). Across all platforms, CGH has an audience of more than 25 million people. (It’s also worth noting here that the McKnight YouTube presence extends beyond CGH: daughters Brooklyn, Bailey, and Kamri Noel all have their own followings–6.67 million for the former two’s shared channel, and 1.96 million for Kamri.)
CGH’s debut toy line includes wigs, styling heads, styling tools, and hair accessories, all of which are being made by JAKKS Pacific–a regular producer of toys for major brands like Disney, Star Wars, and Nintendo.
“The Cute Girls Hairstyles toy line allows girls to take what they have learned from my videos and then apply and practice the skills at home,” McKnight said in a statement. “The product line will enhance my audience’s overall experience with my online content, and overall is a natural extension of the CGH brand.”
Jill Norquist, SVP of marketing at JAAKS Pacific, added, “Cute Girls Hairstyles’ founder Mindy McKnight has an incredible following, and we are thrilled to bring a strong line of products to hairstyle enthusiasts of all ages.”
Products’ official descriptions are…
- Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Glitter Brush: Kids can glam up their style with this fun glitter brush complete with brush, glitter gel and booklet with hairstyles and tips. The Glitter Brush is recommended for ages 6 and older at a suggested retail price of $9.99.
- Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Style Sets: Kids can have fun creating an assortment of fun styles with themed styling tools and accessories. Sets include: a mermaid set with mermaid clip, french braid tool, and styling booklet; a cat ears set with two clippable cat ears, corner flip tool, and a styling booklet; and a unicorn set with unicorn horn, styling tool, and styling booklet. Each set is sold separately for $9.99 and is recommended for ages 6 and older.
- Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Wig Assortment: This amazing assortment allows kids to change their look with three different wig options. Kids can choose from pink straight hair, turquoise wavy hair, or purple wavy hair. This wig assortment is recommended for ages 6 and older at a suggested retail price of $14.99.
- Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Festival Sets: Kids can get festival ready with these two kits. The Hair Jewelry Kit accentuates hairstyles with fun accessories that can dress-up any hairstyle, while the Crochet Hair Kit can crochet colorful braid extensions into hair and also includes hair charms. Each kit includes a booklet of hairstyles and tips for kids ages 6 and over at a suggested retail price of $19.99.
- Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Styling Head: The Styling Head comes in two styles. The Caucasian skin tone features straight multi-color hair; the African-American styling head features wavy multi-color hair. The styling heads feature high-quality hair that is ideal for braiding and creating Mindy’s signature styles. There is also a clamp which provides greater stability. Each styling head includes hair accessories and a booklet filled with styling tips. The Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Styling Head is perfect for kids ages 6 and older, and will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.99.
- Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Wig with Display Form: The Wig with Display Form comes in two styles and allows kids to wear, share, and style again and again! One style has a Caucasian skin tone with straight hair and one has a multi-ethnic skin tone with wavy hair. Each Wig with Display Form includes a mannequin head with removable, wear and share wig and styling accessories, as well as a booklet filled with styling tips. The Cute Girls Hairstyles™ Wig with Display Form is ideal for kids ages 6 and older, and will be available for a suggested retail price of $39.99.
All toys will be available globally in August through licensee M-Star Media. A preview event is scheduled for this weekend, during the New York Toy Fair (Feb. 22-25).
The deal was brokered by licensing agency Brand Central LLC and McKnight’s representation, Select Management Group.
CGH is the latest in a spate of prominent kid-directed (or, at the very least, “child-attractive”) YouTube channels to announce a merch deal. Cocomelon (73.6 million subscribers), Collins Key (20.6 million), and CKN Toys (14.7 million) have all revealed lines in the past month.
At least one of those deals, Cocomelon’s, was made to help mitigate lost AdSense caused by YouTube stripping personalized ads off kids’ videos, but putting out a successful toy line may do more than mitigate. Top toy-focused channel Ryan’s World now has more than 1,000 products in 75,000 stores, a lineup expected to make Ryan Kaji (and his parents) $150 million in revenue this year alone.