As it gears up to launch its Rewind compilation video this afternoon, YouTube is sharing a list of what it calls the “top trending” videos of the year. Based on views, shares, comments, likes, and other factors, the YouTube-compiled list also likely presents some hints about what will appear in Rewind.
The top trending video of 2017 hailed from a Thai singing competition series called The Mask Singer, in which celebrities compete with their identities concealed by elaborate masks. While the show generated tons of YouTube views this year (to the tune of 3 billion) and also broadcasts local iterations across Korea, Vietnam, and China, the most popular clip to date featured Thai singer Pandavaram Prasarnmitr crooning Until We Become Dust in a bedazzled oyster getup.
The singer Ed Sheeran appeared not once but twice on this year’s list, with a choreography video for his hit single Shape Of You by Kyle Hanagami clocking in at No. 2 and Sheeran’s episode of Carpool Karaoke coming in at No. 5. Rounding out the top five are Dude Perfect’s Ping Pong Trick Shots 3 at No.3 — the only native YouTube creators to place within the top five — and 12-year-old ventriloquist Darci Lynne’s appearance on America’s Got Talent at No. 4.
Check out YouTube’s full list of the top 10 trending videos of 2017, which collectively amassed 633 million views (83 million more views than last year’s list) and which were watched for more than 40 million hours, right here:
- Until We Will Become Dust – Oyster Masked (ตราบธุลีดิน – หน้ากากหอยนางรม) | THE MASK SINGER 2
- ED SHEERAN – Shape Of You | Kyle Hanagami Choreography
- Ping Pong Trick Shots 3 | Dude Perfect
- Darci Lynne: 12-Year-Old Singing Ventriloquist Gets Golden Buzzer – America’s Got Talent 2017
- Ed Sheeran Carpool Karaoke
- Lady Gaga’s FULL Pepsi Zero Sugar Super Bowl LI Halftime Show | NFL
- “INAUGURATION DAY” — A Bad Lip Reading of Donald Trump’s Inauguration
- history of the entire world, i guess
- In a Heartbeat – Animated Short Film
- Children interrupt BBC News interview – BBC News