In case there weren’t enough competitors in the VOD industry already, Kevin Hart and Lionsgate are ready to add one more service to the mix. The comedian and the studio are behind Laugh Out Loud (LOL), which will offer a combination of original shows from online video stars and stand-up comedians, as well as licensed comedy programming, when it launches on August 3.
LOL will be free and will deliver its videos to viewers through its app, which will be available on both iOS and Android devices. Subscribers who are willing to part with $2.99 per month will be able to experience the service ad-free and will gain access to full, current seasons of LOL’s shows.
Those shows will feature some of the biggest names in online video. YouTube star GloZell will star in a series called Campus Law, in which she, Wes “Wuz Good” Armstrong, and Cynthia Luciette will portray campus cops. Sketch group Dormtainment, fresh off the release of a pilot on YouTube Red, will contribute to the LOL slate through a show called Black Geo. Perhaps the most anticipated original series coming to the new service is Dead House, a scripted sitcom about a human who moves in with four zombies, which features one-time Vine superstar King Bach in its leading role.
Hart himself will contribute to his service’s slate through Kevin Hart: Lyft Legend, in which he will put on old man makeup and prank unsuspecting rideshare passengers. The first episode of that show is currently available on LOL’s official Facebook page.
Future shows that will come to LOL will include a series co-hosted by online video notables David So and Timothy DeLaGhetto. With all of the programming on his service, Hart is hoping to build a lineup that features creators from varied backgrounds. “Funny has no color or gender. With our friends at Lionsgate, we are creating a global network that gives a platform to the next generation of diverse comedians from all over the world, of all ethnicities, to tell their stories,” Hart said in a press release. “Our culture of comedy is unfiltered and inclusive. Most importantly, we exist to make the world laugh.”
Here, via a press release, are details about all the originals that will be available through LOL upon the service’s launch:
- Black Geo (Dormtainment) – Black Geo is a satirical investigative series into the origins of black culture through sketch comedy.
- Campus Law (cast: GloZell, Wuz Good, Cynthia Luciette) – The scripted sitcom is based around three recent college graduates who decide to get jobs as security guards on their former campus. Campus Law was greenlit by Hart at the Laugh Out Loud Presents: Just for Laughs Eat My Shorts pitch session during the 2016 JFL comedy festival.
- Dead House (King Bach, Emmanuel Hudson, D.C Young Fly) – A scripted sitcom from one of the world’s top digital comedians, Andrew Bachelor – aka King Bach. Living arrangements become interesting when a human joins the cast of a reality show where 4 zombies must live and work together in one house.
- Def Comedy Jam: For the first time ever, all seven seasons of Def Comedy Jam will be available on streaming, exclusively on Laugh Out Loud. The digital debut of the series that was a driving force behind the rise of hip hop music and comedy culture features legendary comedians Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, Bernie Mac, Queen Latifah, Mike Epps and more.
- Hotline Ad: A sequel to Brent Weinbach’s “Gangster Party Line,” Hotline Ad will feature various chat line skits with celebrity comedic appearances (Snoop).
- Inglorious Pranksters – Stand-up comedian Jo Koy hosts this unscripted series that celebrates the Internet’s best viral pranks. In each episode, three UGC pranks will be given the ‘Hall of Fame’ treatment and only one will be inducted into the ‘Hall of Fame’.
- Just For Laughs 2016 – 104 comics. 52 episodes. It’s 15 minutes of original hilarity, brought to you from Just For Laughs, the largest international comedy festival in the world. This is the next generation of comedy’s A-list. Showcases include Godfrey, Ronny Chieng, Finesse Mitchell.