At its presentation at the Digital Content NewFronts today, Defy Media announced a slew of new and returning shows for its more than 70 million YouTube subscribers and 100 million social followers — including a trio of titles from its flagship Smosh brand.
Smosh, which is headlined by creators Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla, who have catapulted the comedy channel to one of the most popular destinations on all of YouTube, will introduce three new series in 2017, per Defy. They include: Not Quite Cancelled, a scripted comedy about a popular TV series that has jumped the shark; One Hour Song Machine, in which performers must create music videos inspired by random items in a box; and Operation: Open World, where Smosh Games personalities Jovenshire and Mari travel to various events across the globe like Oktoberfest and Carnival.
All told, Defy counts 75 weekly and bi-weekly programs — 35 of which launched last year, and each of which is produced in-house. Programming is available on 27 platforms.
In addition to its new shows, Defy is bringing back several popular content initiatives in 2017, including the variety and sketch comedy show Smosh Live; its annual charity prankfest Prank It Fwd; ScreenJunkies Central, a three-day live broadcast from Comic Con; and the Smosh Winter/Summer Games, a monthlong competition featuring various events, including slip n’ slide kickball.
Check out the slate of forthcoming shows from Defy’s Clevver pop culture vertical as well as online movie magazine ScreenJunkies right here:
- It Got Real — It Got Real is Clevver’s new docu-series that gives fans unprecedented access to the real lives of the hosts. In its premiere season, Clevver host and producer Erin Robinson takes viewers on her brave journey as she struggles with her recently diagnosed fibroid tumors.
- Clevver Takes On — Almost every day young women are faced with new real-world challenges that can be daunting as they grow older. How do you change a tire? What’s the best way to budget your finances? How do you negotiate your car lease? These are the type of questions our hosts tackle head-on as they seek out expert advice and teach viewers the step-by-step instructions for mastering the solutions.
- Get Jacked — Get Jacked is Clevver’s energetic new show where fitness bucket lists are conquered and healthy living takes the spotlight. Each episode showcases a unique and adventurous workout guaranteed to entertain, educate, and elevate the viewer’s fitness game.
- Galaxy Quest: A ScreenJunkies Documentary — In its first-ever full-length feature documentary, ScreenJunkies delivers an in-depth look behind the making of one of the most popular comedy science fiction films ever — Galaxy Quest.
- Millennial Falcon — Hosted by Jenny Nicholson, Millennial Falcon offers up a deep dive into the Star Wars universe and all other things Disney, exploring breaking news and all of the nerdy minutia in-between.
- FlickBait — FlickBait is the fun, weekly movie news round-up show that breaks down the latest headlines and gets viewers involved in the discussion. Hosted by the Emmy nominated Honest Trailers writers, each episode revolves around “clickbait” headlines and is discussed in revolving segments by each host.