Maker Studios’ presentation at the 2015 Digital Content Newfronts introduced a number of content creators who have recently joined its multi-channel network. Among other notable names, Lisa Schwartz and Taryn Southern have joined Maker, and they are both among the dozens of creators who will contribute to the network’s upcoming lineup of original programming.
In total, Maker’s newly-announced slate encompasses 15 programs across multiple content categories. Southern’s contribution is The Taryn Show, which she describes as “a late night talk show specifically for the online audience.” Schwartz, meanwhile, will join Maker’s content push with Party Girl, in which she stars as a woman who works as a birthday party princess.
Maker’s other new series are a combination of scripted and unscripted projects from creators within the Maker network. Daym Drops and Amy Pham, for example, will pit comfort food against gourmet cuisine in Fast vs. Fancy, while the Convos With My 2-Year-Old team will use cute kids to poke fun at TMZ with a series called Toddler Tonight.
Send the latest creator news straight to your inbox
These programs will join the original series Maker has already produced, including the eight it announced at last year’s Newfronts presentation. Of those series, P’Triquing and Over The Top, which star Maker partners P’Trique and Chester See respectively, are “in production at television networks,” according to Maker content chief Erin McPherson.
Many of the new programs will make use of Maker’s relationship with its parent company, Disney. Other Disney properties, including Marvel, ESPN, and ABC, are linked to specific content, and McPherson also made note of I Am Maker, the company’s upcoming TV series on ABC Family.
Maker’s presentation also hit on a number of key partnerships. Maker and OpenSlate have teamed up to launch Maker Select, which assists marketers with the online video ad buying process. In addition, Latino-focused network MiTu announced its plan to team up with Maker to produce new content, and Maker and Digitas are partnering for a venture called Digitas_LAB.
Here, via Maker, are descriptions of all the programs it announced at its presentation:
- CAMP – A coming-of-age story, adapted from James Franco’s “Palo Alto: Stories,” set in a fictional summer camp in the idyllic woodlands outside of the Bay Area. Campers explore their own sexualities, confront their teenage fears, and grow up together – navigating drama, making each other laugh, and forging the greatest memories of their young lives. From short story to short-form, the series is the first in a line of original content from the Rabbit Bandini_LAB, part of Maker_LABS.
- Fashpad – From the creators of CrashPad comes a new rapid-fire roundtable where fashion sensation P’Trique hosts guests in the Quad to highlight what matters most in the world…fashion!
- Fast or Fancy – What happens when Daym Drops and Amy Pham team up to face off with their taste buds? Find out on this new series where high and low food culture battle for bragging rights. White Castle slider or Minetta Tavern Black Label burger? Red O braised short rib taco or the El Chato Taco Truck’s al pastor taco? Fast or Fancy?
- The Look of Knowing: Part 2 – Inspired by the hit mini-series The Look of Knowing, CutiePieMarzia continues her adventures in the next chapter of this dark and quirky story—this time featuring Maya’s two pugs. Its “Coraline” meets “The Cowardly Dog” meets the unique vision and storytelling of CutiePieMarzia.
- Maker Tales – Classic fairy tales such as King Midas, Pinocchio, Hansel and Gretel, Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood are reimagined as music videos by some of Maker’s biggest stars including Tessa Violet, Iman Crosson, Dodger, Timothy DeLaGhetto, and more.
- Nursery Rhyme Mashups – Join Maruki, Tooki, and Chuki on their animated adventures, where they combine classic nursery rhymes with modern musical genres for a perfect sing-along series.
- Party Girl – A scripted comedy created by Lisa Schwartz that tells the story of an overachieving superstar, played by Lisa herself, who is forced to take a humiliating low-wage job and learns that it ain’t easy to make an honest living.
- Polaris Animated Universe – The most popular online gamers and animators collide in an original anthology series bringing mash-ups, parodies, and fan-favorite moments to life from popular “Let’s Play” series and podcasts. Fresh and spontaneous, each format is an homage to the storied franchises and larger-than-life personalities that unite the gaming community around the world.
- The Taryn Show – Who’s better at matchmaking, your friends or Tinder? What does a Facebook poke actually feel like? What if we could only communicate in 140 characters or less? Welcome to the world’s first late-night interactive digital experiment in web culture that features sketch comedy, interviews, and whatever else the interweb asks for—hosted by resident web geek Taryn Southern.
- This is Why You’re Single – A scripted series about two shallow, narcissistic, and oftentimes reprehensible BFFs who find themselves in relatable but elevated situations as they search for love (or a sugar-daddy, whatever’s easiest) in this absurd and excruciating look at dating in the modern world.
- Toddler Tonight – From the creators of “Convos with my 2-year-old” comes a new comedy that takes an irreverent look at kids through the lens of celebrity. “Entertainment Tonight,” “TMZ,” and “Fashion Police” get the toddler treatment by putting a paparazzi lens on kids eating what they shouldn’t, taking dance classes and sitting on the beach, a.k.a. doing what kids would normally do, but having adults provide comedic, color commentary along the way.
- Toy Detective – A live-action mystery adventure that follows unboxing superstar EvanTube as he solves mysteries for toys (as Ace Ventura did for pets) with the help of sister Jillian and other YouTube friends. The EvanTubeHD Detective Agency quickly gets in over its head, falling victim to hilarious hijinks and ridiculous twists on their quest to solve crimes.
- Traveling Band – A fresh new format from Portal A—a medley of music, comedy, and travel—the musical group The Gregory Brothersstar in a semi-scripted mockumentary following their travels around the world, collaborating with unusual guests and being caught in unexpected situations. What happens when they realize 30 minutes before curtain in Vietnam that they have to make food and feed everyone in the audience? It’s the tour of a lifetime and we’re along for the ride.
- American Woman – In collaboration with ABC’s Lincoln Square Productions comes an irreverent docu-series about the women who made America great. Maker talent will ride through revolutionary history in search of the tough mothers who helped create our young nation, starting with the original 13 colonies, a map and a dream to uncover the women behind the men.
- I Am Maker – Emmy® Award-winning producers World of Wonder team with Maker and ABC Family to share an unprecedented look at what it takes to become a YouTube star today. Inspired by the roots of Maker, the series is an aspirational docu-series that follows a group of content creators who live together and are mentored by the biggest online talent.