Twitch Adds New Revenue Prospects For Creators, Developers With Bits-Enabled Extensions

By 04/23/2018
Twitch Adds New Revenue Prospects For Creators, Developers With Bits-Enabled Extensions

Twitch is combining two core features — Bits and Extensions — in order to provide new monetization opportunities for its fleet of streamers, as well as third-party software developers.

Bits, launched in 2016, are digital goods that can be purchased and used to ‘Cheer’ for creators, appearing as gem-shaped emojis within the chat box. Extensions, launched last year, are interactive overlays — such as leaderboards and polls — built by developers that creators can incorporate onto their channel pages to drum up engagement. Twitch announced today that Bits can now be used within select Extensions — with creators pocketing 80% of any resulting revenue and developers taking home the remaining 20%.

Developers will have to be invited to build monetized Extensions in a new beta program, Twitch said, which will offer a total of 30 Bits-enabled Extensions at launch today.


Subscribe to get the latest creator news


For instance, an Extension called Bits Voting Studio by developer iPowow will enable viewers to spend Bits to vote on what actions a streamer should take mid-play — including which weapons to buy or which maps to choose. Another Extension called Bit Arcade by Doborog Games (pictured above) will enable viewers to transact Bits to play arcade-inspired classics — and compete with fellow viewers for the highest score — at the same time that a stream is happening. Other Bits-enabled Extensions will let viewers post onscreen messages or trigger various sound alerts, the company said.

All Twitch Partners and Affiliates whose channels are Bits-enabled will be eligible to incorporate the new Extensions, which can be found in the ‘Extensions Manager’ on channel dashboards under the ‘In-Extensions Bits’ tab.

“Our mission at Twitch is to help our community make a living on our service doing what they love, and that includes both content creators and developers,” Extensions product manager Jeffrey Chow said in a statement. “We built Extensions to best serve what Twitch is best known for: community interactions. By enabling revenue generation from Extensions, developers can make more of them, which ultimately opens up more interactive possibilities and monetization methods for content creators.”

Subscribe for daily Tubefilter Top Stories

Stay up-to-date with the latest and breaking creator and online video news delivered right to your inbox.