AOL‘s Digital Content Newfronts presentation, like many of the others to go down this week, featured a clear emphasis on star power and original programming. The site, which currently holds the 7th position in Comscore’s Online Video Rankings, unveiled 15 upcoming series and spilled the beans about new partnerships with companies like Nielsen and AXS TV.
One by one, notable entertainers, artists, entrepreneurs, and personalities took the stage to discuss the projects they will share via Aol On. In particular, many of the upcoming series target women. Sarah Jessica Parker is planning City Ballet, a series about the New York City ballet, Nicole Richie is turning her Twitter profile into a web series star with #CandidlyNicole, and Gwyneth Paltrow will join fitness expert Tracy Anderson for Second Chances, where they will talk to women who have overcome obstacles.
Among all the familiar faces from traditional media, one new media star stood out: iJustine will have her own series though Aol On’s tech hub. It’s called Hardwired, and it will have the popular vlogger exploring new technologies that interact directly with the user’s body. It all looks perfect for the woman who made her fame by playing around with popular gadgets.
Subscribe for daily Tubefilter Top Stories
Also joining the AOL lineup is everyone from comedian Hank Azaria to actor Anthony Anderson. The former will explore his new dad status in Fatherhood, which will feature appearances from actors like Kevin Bacon, Rainn Wilson, and Richard Kind; the latter will gorge himself on a number of tasty eats in Anthony Eats America.
Beyond programming, AOL also fleshed out the partnership between its Huffington Post property and Mark Cuban‘s AXS TV channel. As announced yesterday, HuffPost Live will make its way to TV via AXS, with Cuban using Newfronts to tout live online entertainment. “Live is creating a dynamic that is the future of online video,” he said. “If you’re watching it on YouTube, you’re already too late.”
Finally, AOL CEO Tim Armstrong took the stage with John Burbank of Nielsen. Together, they announced Nielsen’s plan to release ratings for online TV. Armstrong described them as a version of the ComScore rankings that can be compared to TV, and he announced that AOL would be the first online company to partner with Nielsen on that endeavor.
All in all, AOL gave an exhausting Newfronts presentation. One year ago, they stormed into the original online content sphere with Aol On. Now, they’re starting to branch out in a big way.
Here is a list of all the original programs AOL announced:
- CITY.BALLET. – Enter the graceful but competitive world of ballet through the eyes of executive producer, Sarah Jessica Parker. This behind-the-scenes docudrama reveals what it takes to perform on the ultimate stage, the New York City Ballet. Produced by Pretty Matches Productions and Zero Point Zero Production.
- CANDIDLYNICOLE – Fashion icon, creative director of House of Harlow 1960 and Winter Kate and mom, Nicole Richie, brings her unfiltered sense of humor and unique perspective to life in a new series based on Nicole’s clever twitter feed and will follow the outspoken host as she muses on her own daily insights and shares her uncensored perspective on style, parenting, relationships and her journey through life. Produced by Telepictures Productions and World of Wonder with executive producers Nicole Richie and Michael Baum.
- MY INK – From award-winning producer Mike Tollin, the biggest names in sports share the personal stories behind their tattoos. Produced by Mandalay Sports Media.
- ANTHONY EATS AMERICA – Actor and comedian Anthony Anderson eats his way across America one kitchen at a time, as he connects with home chefs to learn the secrets of their signatures dishes. Produced by Principato-Young Entertainment.
- NOW EAT THIS! ITALY WITH ROCCO DISPIRITO – A unique intersection of travel, cuisine and health where Chef and New York Times best-selling author Rocco DiSpirito visits Italian mamas in their homes in Sorrento, Italy to learn how to make authentic Italian dishes healthy and under 350 calories directly from the experts.
- INSPIRATION POINT WITH JONATHAN ADLER – Iconic potter, designer, author, and personality Jonathan Adler shares his perspectives on creativity, inspiration, and adding style, craft, and joy to your life. Everything Jonathan makes reflects the company motto, “If your heirs won’t fight over it, we won’t make it.” Produced by AOL Studios.
- THE SARTORIALIST – Photographer Scott Schuman searches the city streets for amazing fashion as well as the stories behind the style.
- FUEGO YOUR LIFE – Bilingual sensation Sandra Vergara shares her spicy secrets to style and beauty in this new digital girls’ guide. Twenty-five-year-old Colombian-born Latina spitfire, Sandra brings her passion and unfiltered point-of-view to this original series about adding fuego (fire) to any area of life. Produced by Telepictures Productions.
- SECOND CHANCES – Gwyneth Paltrow and Tracy Anderson spend time with women who’ve overcome hardship, injury, and setbacks to triumph in the face of adversity. We’ll hear their inspiring stories firsthand, whether fighting back from a career-ending injury or transforming their lives and bodies through diet and exercise. Produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions.
- HARDWIRED – Millennial tech gadget guru and digital influencer Justine Ezarik aka iJustine explores the latest in wearable technology. Produced by AOL Studios.
- THE FUTURE STARTS HERE – Groundbreaking filmmaker and Founder of the Webby Awards Tiffany Shlain explores, with humor and insights, humanity’s evolution with technology.
- FLAT OUT – High end documentary series following 17 year old NASCAR rising star, Dylan Kwasniewski, in his quest to become a top NASCAR driver and mark his spot in history on the race track. The new unscripted program follows Dylan’s life as he balances being both a teenager and NASCAR driver. Produced by Vuguru and NASCAR Productions.
- FATHERHOOD – Enter the life of hilarious, Emmy Award-winning actor Hank Azaria as he wrestles with the multitude of challenges that come with being a first-time father. Produced by BermanBraun.
- FUNDED – Discover crowdfunded small business success stories with author, comedian, and entrepreneur Baratunde Thurston. Produced by AOL Studios with Cultivated Wit.
- ACTING DISRUPTIVE – Features Hollywood’s biggest names away from the cameras as they launch tech and new media start-ups. Hosted by Max Lugavere and produced by Tribeca Enterprises.