Sunday YouTube launched YouTube Rewind, a feature on the new channel theyearinreview, which highlights the Most Watched Videos of the Year, Most Watched Music Videos, and The Moments That Defined YouTube in 2010.
“Relive the videos, people and events that defined YouTube in 2010,” reads the new channel’s page, which features a custom-built calendar that arranges the most popular and influential videos on a scrolling timeline.
YouTube’s accompanying blogpost lists—of the 700 billion YouTube videos watched in 2010—the top ten YouTube Videos (excluding major label music videos) and the most-watched major music videos. These videos “reflect the people, places, and events that captured our collective attention and imagination throughout the year,” reads the YouTube blog. “We met a bunch of new faces, some new words and phrases entered our shared lexicon, and we celebrated as some new YouTube partners hit the big time with millions of views.”
Highlights include Auto-tune the News’ remix of Antoine Dodson’s impassioned news interview, the It Gets Better project from Dan Savage, 13-year old Greyson Chance singing ‘Paparazzi,’ and of course, Paul “Yosemite Bear” Vasquez’s Double Rainbow video.
Globally, as of November 2010, the most-watched YouTube videos (excluding major label music videos) were:
- BED INTRUDER SONG!!! (now on iTunes)
- TIK TOK KESHA Parody: Glitter Puke – Key of Awe$ome #13
- Greyson Chance Singing Paparazzi
- Annoying Orange Wazzup
- Old Spice | The Man Your Man Could Smell Like
- Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10
- OK Go – This Too Shall Pass – Rube Goldberg Machine version
- THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE – Trailer
- Jimmy Surprises Bieber Fan
- Ken Block’s Gymkhana THREE, Part 2; Ultimate Playground; l’Autodrome