Online video network Maker Studios is best known for managing its partner channel, but Maker has recently extended its services by producing a growing crop of original web series. At its first ever Digital Content Newfronts presentation, Maker teased eight new web productions, most of which will include the network’s talent.
Several of Maker’s upcoming originals come directly from the minds of its talented creators. For instance, Chester See will star in a scripted series called Over The Top, which is loosely based on his attempt to make it as an independent musician in Los Angeles. Maker co-founder ShayCarl is producing a web series with Maker, too; it’s called ShayLife and “is all about finding the next Epic Rap Battles of History.”
Also in attendance was Morgan Spurlock, who is launching a channel with Maker called Smartish. The Super Size Me director will populate his channel with clever shows that go inside the science, industry, and history behind everyday objects and activities. It’s his second time working with Maker Studios Chief Content Officer Erin McPherson; he brought Mansome to Yahoo Screen while McPherson was in charge of overseeing that site’s original video content.
Maker also discussed its new technological and brand-centered initiatives. You can read Tubefilter’s thoughts on Maker Labs, Maker Offers, and Maker.TV right here.
Here is a complete list of the programs discussed at Maker’s Newfront:
- Ithamar Has Nothing to Say – A 6-part comedy series that follows an eponymous traveler exploring the U.S. for the first time—all without uttering a single word. The series stars Ithamar Enriquez (“The Office”) and is produced by Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele (“Key & Peele”), Principato-Young Entertainment, Enriquez, and Frank Caeti.
- smartish – From Oscar® and Emmy® nominee and the master of branded entertainment Morgan Spurlock, smartish is a new type of channel for brands to partner on clever content that will exclusively be curated by “smartish” talent across platforms. Show offerings include:
- Consider the Source, which will highlight economic, environmental and the often mysterious journeys familiar products take to get from factories and fields into our very own hands.
- How to Win at Life, based on Charles Duhigg’s New York Times bestseller The Power of Habit, this series will take a look at the science and hidden psychology behind everyday choices that may just be ruining your life.
- Over the Top – An original scripted series starring musician, actor, digital star Chester See as a struggling artist trying to make a name for himself in the LA music scene. Based on his real life experience to “the top,” the series documents the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of becoming a digital superstar.
- ShayLife – An uplifting docu-series starring YouTube superstar ShayCarl that gives deserving individuals a rejuvenated lease on life. Shay works to inspire everyday people to make positive lifestyle changes towards longstanding happiness.
- Mind_Craft – Top online gamer Joseph Garrett aka Stampylonghead utilizes the leading kids game Minecraft for a new take on educational programming. The series explores a kid-friendly world that encourages curiosity.
- CRI-CHIC-ING – Armed with a megaphone and ready to critique, style icon P’Trique and her clique of celebrity friends dole out fashion feedback to unsuspecting pedestrians during Fashion Week. Irreverent and good-natured, the series fuses comedy and style for a fun take on fashion.
- Oh, You Pretty Things! – A 10-episode series in partnership with NYLON TV, starring Francesca Eastwood and Alexander Nifong (“Pretty Little Liars”) about a group of twenty-something trendsetters looking for their big break in the underground music and fashion scene on the Eastside of Los Angeles. The series premieres on Maker.tv and The Platform (youtube.com/theplatform) May 19th.