One year ago, MyDamnChannel was born of pretty simple concept: empower real talent and get the hell out of the way. The success of the new media studio, both financially and creatively, is a testament to that philosophy. After just one year, the company has begun to reach over one million unique monthly viewers with ads from brands including Lincoln, Universal Pictures, Lionsgate, Southern Comfort, Puma, and HBO, and with revenue pacing to exceed $1 million by year’s end.
The birthday festivities include announcements of some interesting initiatives and more top-rate talent.
“Pilot Channel” will give content creators full access to the company’s branding, technology, community, syndication, promotion, and revenue. Advertisers will bid to sponsor new series through a branded entertainment exchange that guarantees placement and distribution throughout the network.
Not anyone can upload to the “Pilot Channel.” Those that appear are the cream of the crop that have been pitched to MyDamnChannel, which aims to share great ideas while maintaining a manageable stable. Some featured pilots may eventually be selected for further development.
New MyDamn series will include….
- “Lapdance with Kurt Loder: Saving The World One Interview at a Time” – Author, journalist, MTV anchor, movie writer and former Rolling Stone senior editor Kurt Loder interviews filmmakers, musicians and anyone else who’s around, anywhere in the world, via iChat. The first episode with Harry Shearer premieres in August.
- New Big Fat Brain series – the creators of “You Suck at Photoshop” will “tweak the geeks” once again.
- “Face Time presented by Puma” – athletes and musicians interview each other to find out where they get their inspiration. Three 6 Mafia and Terrell Owens star in the channel’s first sports series.
- “My Damn Channel Music Nights presented by SoCo” – Grace Helbig, host of the channel’s “Daily Grace” hits the highway this summer with Southern Comfort for 12 weeks of programming starring fans and artists including Common, The Black Keys, and The Roots, filming in NY, CA, AZ, and WI.
- Harry Shearer – the Sultan of political satire has just released a new album, “Songs of the Bushmen.” New videos from the album include “Turd Blossom Special” (Shearer as Karl Rove) and “Gym Buds” (Judith Owen as Condeleeza Rice). Shearer continues to produce “Found Objects,” featuring news anchors and newsmakers in unscripted moments captured on film.
- Don Was – the creator and host of My Damn Channel’s Wasmopolitan Cavalcade of Recorded Music is producing a second season of all new music. Don and his Cavalcade just filmed over 55 musicians live in Detroit at the “Concert of Colors” diversity festival.
Preattty preattty preattty preattty, preattty good. Happy Birthday MDC!